Laois County Council Says It Cannot Revisit Electric Picnic Licence Refusal
Laois County Council has said that it cannot revisit its refusal to grant a licence for the Electric Picnic music festival this year.
Laois County Council Statement
In a statement published on laois.ie, Laois County Council said, "A decision by Laois County Council to refuse the application for an event licence for the Electric Picnic 2021, issued on the 4th August 2021 pursuant to section 231 (3)(a) and (b) of the Planning and Development Act, as amended. The decision was based on the following reasons:
- Having regard to the up to date advise from the Health Service Executive in their statutory submission
- Having regard to government public health measures currently in place and made pursuant to the Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020 and the Health and Criminal Justice (COVID-19) (Amendment) Act 2021.
"There is no provision in law which enables Laois County Council to revisit that refusal or reconsider that application.
"Notwithstanding the comments emanating from yesterday's press briefing from Nphet [the National Public Health Emergency Team], nothing has changed as regards advice from the HSE, nor has there been any change to the government public health measures in place in respect of hosting of outdoor events, from the position that pertained on the 4th August, 2021.
"The planning authority, Laois County Council, further notes that even if a new application for an event licence is made, the statutory timelines do not allow for the processing of a new application to facilitate the event on the dates as intended in the application previously submitted."
Calls For Decision Reversal
The above statement from Laois County Council follows news from yesterday (Wednesday August 25) that the operator of the Electric Picnic music festival and the managing director of event management company MCD Productions had called on the government and Laois County Council to reverse the decision to cancel the festival this year and permit it to take place for individuals who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Fine Gael Laois Councillor Statements
As reported by rte.ie, Fine Gael Laois councillor Aisling Moran said that the organisers of Electric Picnic have no other option but to submit a new application for an event licence.
Moran reportedly said that the original application was turned down, that the festival's organisers cannot appeal that, and that they knew that they would have been able to reapply on August 4 for a new licence for a smaller number of patrons.
Moran reportedly said that a new application would take six to eight weeks under planning rules to allow for people to object and raise concerns about the event.
© 2021 Hospitality Ireland – your source for the latest industry news. Article by Dave Simpson. Click subscribe to sign up for the Hospitality Ireland print edition.