Get the app today! Download iPhone App Download Android App

SUBSCRIBE

Cruise Operator Carnival's Units Cancel Australian Voyages Through Mid-December

Published on Jul 2 2021 11:45 AM in General Industry tagged: Carnival Corp / Cruises / Princess Cruise / P&O Cruises

Cruise Operator Carnival's Units Cancel Australian Voyages Through Mid-December

Carnival Corp's Princess Cruises and P&O Cruises Australia have cancelled voyages in and out of the country through mid-December, citing uncertainty regarding the resumption of cruise holidays.

Banned Entry

Australia banned the entry of cruise ships in March 2020 when they were the source of most of the country's early COVID-19 cases.

The curbs were extended last month to Sept. 17.

P&O Cruises Australia said in a statement that the industry had been in talks with the Australian government and public health authorities since last October for the restart of domestic-only cruising.

"They (the cruise businesses) are like every business in Australia – they need certainty, and I am concerned they may find it increasingly difficult to hang on without a clear pathway forward," P&O Cruises Australia President Sture Myrmell said.

Princess Cruises said in a separate statement that it would move guests booked for a canceled trip to an equivalent cruise next year.

News by Reuters, edited for Hospitality Ireland by Conor Farrelly. Click subscribe to sign up for the Hospitality Ireland print edition.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via Email