Laois County Council Refuses To Grant License For Electric Picnic This Year
Laois County Council has refused to grant a licence for Electric Picnic this year.
The news follows news from earlier this week that the managing director of the company that runs Electric Picnic had said that he was expecting the renowned Irish music festival to go ahead this year.
As reported by rte.ie, Electric Picnic was due to take place from September 24 until September 26 at Stradbally Hall Estate in Co. Laois.
Council And Political Party Member Statements
Laois County Council reportedly said in a statement that the decision to not grant a licence for the event this year was made "following the most up-to-date public health advice made available to the council from the Health Service Executive."
The council reportedly added that "under current government measures for the management of COVID-19, events of this nature are restricted to an attendance of 500 people only."
The Cathaoirleach of Laois County Council reportedly said that the decision was taken "on the basis of public health advice from HSE that was unambiguous."
"This was a very difficult decision for council to make and I'm sure it will be disappointing to thousands of music fans and the live music industry. However, in the current climate it's the lack of certainty over COVID," Councillor Conor Bergin reportedly said.
"We'd all love to see it go ahead, but with no certainty, it's very hard," Bergin reportedly said.
Fianna Fáil's Paschal McEvoy reportedly said that the proposed hosting of the festival is "madness", and, "It is too many, too soon," reportedly adding that there is "an awful lot of uncertainty around COVID".
Meanwhile, Fine Gael TD for Laois-Offaly Charlie Flanagan reportedly said on Twitter, "Good decision on Electric Picnic, having considered all aspects involved and in particular matters of public health.
"Local people in Laois unhappy with lack of consultation and some of the statements of organising group."
Reviewing Options And Contacting Ticket Holders
Electric Picnic organisers have reportedly said they are planning to review their options.
Individuals who have Electric Picnic tickets will reportedly be contacted directly over the next week, according to a statement.
Guidelines For Outdoor Events To Be Updated
The above news also follows news that Fáilte Ireland had said that it would meet government officials today (Thursday August 5) to update the public health guidelines for outdoor events and provide clarity on the operation of such events.
© 2021 Hospitality Ireland – your source for the latest industry news. Article by Dave Simpson. Click subscribe to sign up for the Hospitality Ireland print edition.