Get the app today! Download iPhone App Download Android App

SUBSCRIBE

Managing Director Of Company That Runs Electric Picnic Expecting Festival To Go Ahead This Year

Published on Aug 4 2021 10:54 AM in General Industry tagged: Trending Posts / Electric Picnic / Festival Republic

Managing Director Of Company That Runs Electric Picnic Expecting Festival To Go Ahead This Year

The managing director of the company that runs Electric Picnic has said that he is expecting the renowned Irish music festival to go ahead this year.

As reported by rte.ie, managing director of Electric Picnic operator Festival Republic Melvin Benn said on RTÉ's News at One that he is "100% fully expecting the Electric Picnic to be going ahead on the basis [that] 100% nobody has told me I won't be able to".

Current guidelines for organised outdoor events state that there is a limit of 500 people for venues that have capacity greater than 5,000.

Benn reportedly said, "I'm investing, and all of the teams are investing, in the effort to try and make sure that the Picnic can happen by presuming that we are going ahead, and I'm saying presuming that we are going ahead, because let's be 100% clear here, nobody's told me I can't go ahead."

Letter To Members Of Government

MCD Productions and Festival Republic reportedly wrote to Taoiseach Micheál Martin, Arts Minister Catherine Martin and other members of the government last week with proposals of how events including Electric Picnic could go ahead later this year.

The letter, which was seen by RTÉ, reportedly proposes that Electric Picnic goes ahead in September with enhanced safety protocols.

Benn is reportedly expecting that 70,000 people will attend provided they have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or are immune to virus, having recovered from it in the past six months.

Tickets Sales And Planning

Just over 90% of the tickets have reportedly already been sold, having originally gone on sale in March of 2020 for last year's cancelled festival.

Benn reportedly said that the remainder of the tickets will go on sale at the end of the month when the festival line-up is announced, and that planning is under way and he is confident that the festival will go ahead.

Benn reportedly said, "Well, I guess the status is very straightforward from my point of view, which is that I am very actively undertaking the planning of Electric Picnic.

"Because I very actively believe that the Electric Picnic will take place and I say that because I can't see any reason at this point in time why it wouldn't take place at the end of September. We are two months away from it."

© 2021 Hospitality Ireland – your source for the latest industry news. Article by Dave Simpson. Click subscribe to sign up for the Hospitality Ireland print edition.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via Email