Get the app today! Download iPhone App Download Android App

SUBSCRIBE

Dublin Bar And Club Operator Advises New Hospitality Group Buying Up Venues In Dublin

Published on Nov 3 2021 12:00 PM in Pub/Bar/Nightclub tagged: Jay Bourke / Panti Bar / Dunmore / Wellington pub / Fitzgerald’s / Penny Lane

Dublin Bar And Club Operator Advises New Hospitality Group Buying Up Venues In Dublin

As reported by The Business Post, longstanding Dublin bar and club operator Jay Bourke is working as a consultant with the newly-established Dunmore hospitality group, which is buying up venues in Dublin.

Dunmore

Bourke is reportedly running the Wellington pub on Baggot Street, which Dunmore reportedly acquired off market for approximately €2.3 million last month, and will reportedly be involved at Walters in Dún Laoghaire, which is reportedly the group's second bar acquisition.

Previously owned by Alan Clancy's House hospitality business, Walters has been shuttered for many years but will reportedly reopen shortly.

Sources close to the group reportedly said that Dunmore is looking at several other pubs at present.

Fronted by solicitor John Givens and backed by a small number of other unnamed investors, Dunmore has reportedly secured funding from small and medium enterprise lender Capitalflow.

It reportedly has ambitions to own up to a dozen bars in the capital. It reportedly looked at Fitzgerald's, a family-owned pub in Sandycove in south Dublin, but did not close a sale there.

Bourke, a co-founder of 1990s club RíRá, The Globe bar and Eden restaurant, is reportedly continuing his involvement with Panti Bar and Penny Lane, where he and Rory ‘Panti Bliss’ O’Neill, the drag performer and activist, are investors.

He is reportedly advising the Dunmore group on food, beverage and design of venues. The Wellington, which has been a pub since 1820, was owned and operated for more than 20 years by John and Monica Gibney. Minor works are reportedly being carried out there by Dunmore to enhance ventilation and restore existing features.

Walters, closed for almost a decade, has reportedly undergone a substantial refurbishment ahead of reopening soon.

Last year, Bourke was reportedly at the centre of a furore over his Berlin Bar venue, after scenes from a brunch party held there went viral, appearing to show breaches of COVID-19 restriction rules.

He reportedly remains disqualified as a director since a ruling by the High Court in 2017 barring him from directorships for seven years, arising from the liquidation of Shebeen Chic, a former pub of his on Dublin’s South Great George's Street. The judge said reportedly it had traded while insolvent.

Sales Of Pubs

Several bars in the capital have reportedly changed hands in recent times, despite the potential deterrent of restrictions on trading due to the pandemic.

Larry Murphy's on Baggot Street was reportedly acquired in a €1 million deal last month by hospitality giant Press Up.

Meanwhile, the newly-enlarged Galway Bay Brewery, which recently merged with Brú Group, reportedly acquired the former Thomas Read's and Oak bars on Dame street for approximately €6 million in August. Slattery's in Rathmines reportedly changed hands for approximately €3 million the same month.

© 2021 Hospitality Ireland – your source for the latest industry news. Article by Conor Farrelly. Click subscribe to sign up for the Hospitality Ireland print edition.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via Email