Cork City Council Grants Permission For Development Of New Café In Cork City
Cork City Council has granted permission for the development of a new café in Cork.
As reported by The Irish Examiner, Cork City Council has approved plans for a change of use and alterations to the building at numbers 50/51 Grand Parade in Cork to allow the development of a ground floor café and seven overhead apartments.
Six of the planned apartments will be located on the second, third and fourth floors of the building. An increase in the four storey building's height to five storeys is planned to add the proposed seventh apartment.
The planned redevelopment of the building will require a new roof design as well as alterations to all of the building's elevations, including altered ground floor commercial access on Grand Parade and the addition of new residential access.
50/51 Grand Parade was previously known as Finn's Corner, which sold sports equipment, leisurewear, protective wear, chef uniforms, school uniforms, safety uniforms and nurse uniforms.
When it closed in January of last year, Finn's Corner's co-directors were former Irish rugby player Moss Finn and his brother, Will, who were the fourth generation of Finns involved in the business, which was set up Drinagh draper William Thomas Finn in 1878.
Additional Property Information
50/51 Grand Parade extends to 6,000 square feet and was once the Crystal Palace Ballroom. Additionally, Charles Stewart Parnell once addressed a city rally from one of the building's upper floors.
50/51 Grand Parade adjoins St. Augustine's Church and priory, and Singer's Corner occupies the opposite Grand Parade/Washington Street juncture.
© 2021 Hospitality Ireland – your source for the latest industry news. Article by Dave Simpson. Click subscribe to sign up for the Hospitality Ireland print edition.