World's Top 50 Restaurants According To World’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards 2021 Revealed
The world's top 50 restaurants according to the World's 50 Best Restaurants Awards 2021 have been revealed, with René Redzepi's Noma in Copenhagen, Denmark, being named the world's best restaurant.
As reported by The Irish Independent, the World's 50 Best Restaurants Awards, which are sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, are widely seen as the Oscars of the industry.
50 restaurants from 26 countries across five continents make up this year’s list, with Noma taking the top spot from Mirazur in Menton, France.
The list's rules reportedly changed in 2019 to state that previous winners are now ineligible, reportedly meaning that star restaurants such as Heston Blumenthal's The Fat Duck and New York's Eleven Madison Park are now entered into a separate hall of fame.
Noma has reportedly won several times before, but was reportedly considered a new entry becaused it closed in 2016 and reopened in a new location with a new concept and new ownership.
Redzepi reportedly said, "I want to recognise all the restaurants and industry people who have fought for survival.
"It feels a little weird to be standing on this stage knowing there are so many people still fighting."
Redzepi reportedly concluded, "We spent the last year and a half dreaming of something. We're going to go build it now."
Debuts And Leading Countries
The 2021 rankings reportedly also saw eight new restaurants make their debuts, and Spain and the US led the way with six restaurants each on the list.
Full Top 50 List
The World's 50 Best Restaurants Awards' full world's top 50 restaurants list for this year is as follows:
- Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Geranium, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Spain
- Central, Lima, Peru
- Disfrutar, Barcelona, Spain
- Frantzén, Stockholm, Sweden
- Maido, Lima, Peru
- Odette, Singapore
- Pujol, Mexico City
- The Chairman, Hong Kong
- Den, Tokyo, Japan
- Steirereck, Vienna, Austria
- Don Julio, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Mugaritz, San Sebastian, Spain
- Lido 84, Gardone Riviera, Italy
- Elkano, Getaria, Spain
- A Casa do Porco, São Paulo, Brazil
- Piazza Duomo, Alba, Italy
- Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan
- Diverxo, Madrid, Spain
- Hiša Franko, Kobarid, Slovenia
- Cosme, New York, USA
- Arpège, Paris, France
- Septime, Paris, France
- White Rabbit, Moscow, Russia
- Le Calandre, Rubano, Italy
- Quintonil, Mexico City, Mexico
- Benu, San Francisco, USA
- Reale, Castel di Sangro, Italy
- Twins Garden, Moscow, Russia
- Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin, Germany
- The Clove Club, London, UK
- Lyle's, London, UK
- Burnt Ends, Singapore
- Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet, Shanghai, China
- Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium
- SingleThread, Healdsburg, USA
- Boragó, Santiago, Chile
- Florilège, Tokyo, Japan
- Sühring, Bangkok, Thailand
- Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen. France
- Belcanto, Lisbon, Portugal
- Atomix, New York, USA
- Le Bernardin, New York, USA
- Nobelhart & Schmutzig, Berlin, Germany
- Leo, Bogotá, Colombia
- Maaemo, Oslo, Norway
- Atelier Crenn, San Francisco, USA
- Azurmendi, Larrabetzu, Spain
- Wolfgat, Paternoster, South Africa
© 2021 Hospitality Ireland – your source for the latest industry news. Article by Dave Simpson. Click subscribe to sign up for the Hospitality Ireland print edition.