Irish Stew Declared One Of The World's 50 Best Food Experiences
Irish stew is among three Irish dishes that has made it onto Lonely Planet's new list of the world's Top 500 food experiences.
Coming in at number 47, "Irish stew and a pint of the black stuff" is the highest rated Irish offering on the travel bible's "Ultimate Eatlist", with black pudding taking the number 458 spot and barmbrack being ranked number 496, according to The Irish Independent.
"Warm, Hearty And Filling"
Irish stew is described by Lonely Planet as being "the definition of warm, hearty and filling" while black pudding is said to be "a seasoned sausage - studded with pork fat and rich oatmeal" that's "worshipped by gourmets" and barmbrack is highlighted for its cultural links to Halloween.
The dishes that made the top 10 are:
- Pintxos in San Sebastián, Spain
- Curry laksa in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Sushi in Tokyo, Japan
- Beef brisket in Texas, USA
- Som tum in Bangkok, Thailand
- Smørrebrød in Copenhagen, Denmark
- Crayfish in Kaikoura, New Zealand
- Bibimbap in Seoul, South Korea
- Pizza margherita in Naples, Italy
- Dim sum in Hong Kong
© 2018 Hospitality Ireland – your source for the latest industry news. Article by Dave Simpson. Click subscribe to sign up for the Hospitality Ireland print edition.