Get the app today! Download iPhone App Download Android App

SUBSCRIBE

Prosus Sticks With $6.3bn Just Eat Bid But Lowers Threshold

Published on Nov 12 2019 2:19 PM in Food tagged: Just Eat / Takeaway.com / Prosus

Prosus Sticks With $6.3bn Just Eat Bid But Lowers Threshold

Prosus has held firm on its $6.3 billion offer to buy Just Eat, arguing the merits of its bid versus one from Takeaway.com for the British online takeaway delivery firm.

The one change in the offer published on Monday November 11 by the Dutch arm of South African internet giant Naspers was an acceptance threshold lowered to 75% from 90%.

"We actually believe that financial markets are under- estimating the cost of implementing the transformation Just Eat requires to protect its market position and to capitalise on its long-term opportunity," Prosus CEO Bob Van Dijk said.

Prosus has weighed in with an unsolicited cash offer of $6.3 billion, or 710 pence per share, for Just Eat.

That's higher than the £4.7 billion all-share deal that Just Eat's board has agreed with Takeaway.com, the shares of which have fallen since it made its initial bid in July.

Combined with the impact of a stronger British pound versus the euro, the value of the Takeaway.com shares offer has fallen to 609 pence.

Just Eat on said that the unchanged Prosus offer "significantly undervalued" it, both as a standalone company and in combination with Takeaway, and it continued to recommend shareholders to reject it.

Last week, Takeaway, which initially proposed an agreed deal with Just Eat, changed its proposal to a formal bid with a 75% threshold.

Takeaway's offer could also go forward with simple majority approval from Just Eat shareholders, if British regulators agree.

Prosus and Takeaway.com each talked up the merits of their respective bids on November 11.

CEO Statements

Prosus CEO van Dijk told journalists on a conference call that Takeaway's modest investment in delivery capacity might be a viable strategy for now in the Netherlands and Germany, but it would not work in London and many other markets.

Takeaway CEO Jitse Groen said that his bid offered superior future growth opportunities to both groups of shareholders.

He argued that the delivery side of the online food ordering businesses may never become profitable, while Takeaway's focus on becoming the dominant order platform has led to better growth in operating results.

News by Reuters, edited by Hospitality Ireland. Click subscribe to sign up for the Hospitality Ireland print edition.

Subscribe
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via Email